Boston, MA, USA
This cemetery is an open flat ground in the center of the city also known as Boston Common Burying Ground. It is located on Boylston Street between Tremont Street and Charles Street.
The town purchased the land for a cemetery in 1756 to alleviate overcrowding at King’s Chapel, Copp’s Hill and Granary Burying Grounds. Brick and stone tombs which were built on the Boylston Street side beginning in 1793 are still in evidence. The earliest burials were likely those of foreigners (early Roman Catholic immigrants) who died in Boston. During the American Revolution, the British dead from the Battle of Bunker Hill, and soldiers who died of disease, were buried in a trench on the northwest corner of the burying ground. Many poor people and young children are also buried here.
In 1826 the cemetery was closed and no new burials were permitted until 1836. That same year, a corner piece of land was reclaimed to connect Boylston Street with Tremont Street. It would become known as the Boylston Street Mall (a walkway lined with trees on both sides). The displaced remains were entombed in a series of vaults known as The Dell. Graves that were not claimed were buried under the walkway.
No flat ring marble rules the traveler here
The spot is sacred to affections tear
He was in life what artful men pretend
Companion, parent, neighbor, Christian friend. 1802
When construction of the Tremont Street subway under Boylston Street was begun in 1894, the remains of about 910 people were unearthed. These remains were re-interred in a mass grave in 1895 in the northwest part of the grounds. A slate tablet with three boundary stones marks the spot.
Here Were Interred / The Remains Of Persons / Found Under The Boyston Street Mall / During The Digging Of The Subway / 1895