Located on Forest Hills Avenue/Morton Street, Boston, MA, USA, this cemetery was founded in 1848. It is a superb example of 19th century design of a rural garden cemetery, and a cultural change from the severe style of the burial grounds in colonial New England.
The active cemetery of 250 acres is so large that pathways have been named. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
There are numerous commissioned sculptures throughout the graveyard. The Sculpture Path was created to allow visitors a special place where they could enjoy a magnificent landscape while visiting friends and family.
The Sentinel by Fern Cunningham. This statue commemorates the artist’s African ancestors and strong women in her family.
Removed from the Roxbury tomb in Boston Common in 1895
Edward Mcclure Peters Jr.
First Lieutenant 16th US Infantry
Commanding Second Company Machine Gun
Battalion, First Brigade, First Division,
American Expeditionary Force
Born On Christmas Day 1892. Killed In Action
At Seicheprey In Lorraine While Trying
To Protect His Men. March 11, 1918
In 1999, the Forest Hills Educational Trust developed the annual Lantern Festival in 1999 to remember family and friends during a moving ceremony inspired by Buddhist ritual. At dusk, people release hundreds of glowing lanterns bearing personal message onto Lake Hibiscus (located in the center of the cemetery) and watch them float away as the sun sets.