I discovered this cross and markers in the older section of the New Cemetery, Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland. It is surrounded by hewn stone with engraved names and dates of members of the Mushet family. As the markers are relatively new they must represent broken or damaged headstones which have been removed.
The patriarch was William born in 1821. He married Robina Macfarlane who was born on August 28 1835.
Fell Asleep April 1911
Rests In India
June 29th 1878
They celebrated the births of 9 children.
- George Frederick was born on 1 May 1856 and christened on 25 May 1856. He died on 29 June1878, and is buried in Bombay (Mumbai)
- John Macfarlane was born 15 November 1857
- Janet Gray was born in 1858 and baptised on 16 January 1859
- William was born in 1861 and christened on 1 June
- Louisa Cecilia Mushet was born in 1863 and christened on 3 May
- Elizabeth Jane was born in 1864 and christened 13 December. Her stone is not visible in the images
- William Ernest. A second son born in 1871 was also named William. Given names followed a traditional naming pattern in Scotland by honouring members of the family. On occasion the same name was given to more than one child, if the first child had died, in order to perpetuate the name within the family. William Ernest was christened on 3 September.
- David Henry Cadell was born 25 April 1874-1881 and christened on 5 July
- Gerald was christened on11 February 1876. He died in 1906. His stone is not visible in the images
Thou Who Art The Hearer Of Prayer
All Flesh Shall Come Unto Thee
For Thine Is The Kingdom, The Power
And The Glory For Ever. Amen
Willie Fell Asleep
Aged 3 ¼ Years
David Henry Cadell
Janet Gray Mushet
Fell Asleep 1939
Louisa Cecilia Mushet
Wife Of Rutherford Morison
Fell Asleep February 1904
Thanks Be To God Which Giveth Us The Victory
Through Our Lord Jesus Christ