This unusual cross symbolizing the crucifixion of Jesus is used in Orthodox Christian religions (Russian and Greek) and was most likely introduced by the apostle Andrew who introduced Christianity to Russia.
The upper horizontal bar represents the inscription over the head of Jesus. The Middle Bar is the board on which the Lord’s hands were nailed, and the slanting bar represents the footrest.
In Canada, many cemeteries are owned and maintained by local government while others are owned by private corporations. In the case of privately owned or non profit corporations, the municipality may take over the care and maintenance of the abandoned property if it is deemed unsafe.
The term abandoned cemetery is universally accepted, yet the criteria differs within countries, provinces and states. If a cemetery has not been maintained for a period (number of years varies) an ordinance may be enacted to declare it abandoned.
In North America, if cemetery land is purchased, the interred bodies must be removed and reburied elsewhere. A land transfer is required; the next of kin of the deceased must be contacted; there must be an orderly removal of remains and reburial in an appropriate location including all gravestones, tombs and other markers which must be re-erected.
Section 60 of the Canadian Cemeteries Act states that once a cemetery has been declared abandoned and is registered as such with the appropriate land registry, the municipality becomes the owner of the property and is responsible for the ongoing maintenance of the grounds and its assets.
The term “Navvy” was coined in the late 18th century in Britain when the canals were being built, also known as navigations.
The historical Elvanfoot Bridge (aka Telford Bridge) in South Lanarkshire, Scotland is located on the B7076 as it crosses the River Clyde, and in1806 it was the main road from Glasgow to Carlisle. During construction of the Caledonian railway from Glasgow to Carlisle, 37 Irish navigators died during a typhus outbreak in 1840.
A small graveyard containing 37 unmarked stones lies within a railed enclosure which is now overgrown. The ground was consecrated in 1847 by the Bishop of Glasgow, and a memorial plaque was placed on a stone wall 110 years later.
Erected 1916 / In memory of / Thirty seven workmen who died / While engaged in the construction / Of the Caledonian Railway and / Were buried in this ground which / Was consecrated 12 August 1847 by / Michael Russell Bishop of Glasgow.