Inverkeithing, North Queensferry, Fife, Scotland
Within a small graveyard in the village of North Queensferry are the ruins of the Chapel of St. James which was already in existence when Robert the Bruce granted the chapel to Dunfermline Abbey in 1320. Abandoned after the Reformation it is believed to have been destroyed by Oliver Cromwell’s Parliamentarian troops in 1651. The surviving west wall of the nave contains a stone dated 1752.
When the North Queensferry Sailors’ Society became caretakers of the chapel and the burial ground that same year they built a wall around the area as identified on a marker on the exterior; This Is Done By / The Sailers In / North Ferrie / 17 52. This inscription may relate to the fact that some stone markers were imbedded into the chapel wall so that they would not be lost.
It is rumoured that the infamous grave robbers Burke and Hare visited, and that the graveyard is locked because skeletal bones are surfacing.